Definition of encampment in English:
1A place with temporary accommodations consisting of huts or tents, typically for troops or nomads.
- They have remained committed for over a decade, despite the permanent encampment of 20,000 troops surrounding them.
- He led them through the encampment of blue tents; it was like walking through a ghost town.
- It was Faouzi's idea to stop within sight of a nomad encampment on the way home.
1.1The process of setting up a camp.
- In the midst of the night, this encampment in these sparse woods on the edge of Ther'kass was eerily silent.
- Several government bodies are major landowners and their land may be subject to unauthorised encampment - examples include the Forestry Commission and the Highways Agency.
- A staggering 25 tonnes of rubbish and building rubble was left behind after the four day encampment on the main car park at Pennington Flash Country Park.