Definition of encore in English:
A repeated or additional performance of an item at the end of a concert, as called for by an audience.
- And then it's time for the encores and final farewells.
- At 62 she rarely betrayed her age and, if my memory serves me correctly, she performed a number of encores to thank the very enthusiastic audience.
- They order a jug of sangria, watching the Argentinian who, aware of his audience's renewed interest, is now performing an encore.
exclamationBack to top
verb[with object] Back to top
Give or call for a repeated or additional performance of (an item) at the end of a concert.
- Spice was encored three times.
- At the Richter premiere the third movement was encored, and Elgar wrote beside it in his programme ‘lovely’.
- ‘Va, pensiero,’ the opera's most famous excerpt, was even encored on opening night.
early 18th century: French, literally 'still, again'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan