- 1Intrusion on a person’s territory, rights, etc.: minor encroachments on our individual libertiesMore example sentences
- He struggled unsuccessfully to protect individual liberty from the encroachments of the military authorities.
- Foreign intervention in Indonesia's internal affairs is equivalent to encroachment on sovereignty.
- Sylvestre, who claims the building overlaps onto his property by about two feet, laments the encroachment.
- 1.1A gradual advance beyond usual or acceptable limits: urban encroachment of habitatMore example sentences
- The results were derived from a 3.5 year observational study of median encroachments.
- The pattern of tree encroachment was very different from the gradual encroachment identified in Transect B.
- The paddy fields in Kerala have to be protected from human encroachment.
- 2 Football A penalty in which a defensive player is positioned in the neutral zone at the start of a play.More example sentences
intrusion on, trespass on, invasion of, infiltration of, incursion into, appropriation of; infringement of, impingement on
- His 30-yard free kick flew over the bar but the referee ordered the kick to be retaken for encroachment and moved the ball 10 yards forward.