Definition of endive in English:
1An edible Mediterranean plant whose bitter leaves may be blanched and used in salads.
- This could be served with leaves of bitter endive or a bowl of small boiled potatoes for dipping.
- All you need to accompany this dish is a bitter, leafy salad like rocket and endives in an olive oil and lemon dressing.
- The company also produces bulb onions, parsnips, leeks, endives, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbage, swede and about five per cent of Britain's asparagus crop.
2 (also Belgian endive) North American A young, typically blanched chicory plant, eaten as a cooked vegetable or in salads.
- There's also endive and chicory which I will talk about later, which is a cousin of lettuce, but is technically not lettuce.
- So endives, including Belgian endive, are all chicories.
- The chicory clan - Belgian endive, radicchio, and escarole - is sneaking into more and more produce sections.
Definition of endive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan