1 (also endothermal) Chemistry (Of a reaction or process) accompanied by or requiring the absorption of heat. The opposite of exothermic.
- Solar receivers absorb this concentrated solar radiation and deliver it, in the form of high-temperature heat, to a chemical reactor wherein an endothermic reaction results in the production of solar fuels.
- A reaction which has a positive value for this is an endothermic reaction and requires heat.
- This process is endothermic, pulling heat from its surroundings.
1.1(Of a compound) requiring a net input of heat for its formation from its constituent elements.
- This element forms extremely endothermic compounds, which are in many cases explosive.
- The highly flammable gas acetylene is an endothermic compound which can decompose extremely explosively when in its solid or liquid states or in its gaseous state under pressure.
2 Zoology (Of an animal) dependent on or capable of the internal generation of heat.
- However this strategy is not feasible for endothermic herbivores with a rapid metabolic rate and having limited time available to extract energy and nutrients.
- This bone structure similarity shows that dinosaurs were endothermic.
- The larger an endothermic animal, the more heat it generates relative to the surface area of its body.
- Example sentences
- There are lots of inorganic salts that dissolve endothermically.
- The method includes adding a salt that dissolves endothermically in water to this mixture.
Definition of endothermic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.