- 1Give or bequeath an income or property to (a person or institution): he endowed the church with landsMore example sentences
- This God endowed him with these gifts since he passed the test, and showed love.
- For the parent keen to endow their child with an educational edge, shared reading is an obvious stepping stone.
- ‘I endow ordinary people with love and sincerity,’ she said.
- 1.1Establish (a college post, annual prize, or project) by donating the funds needed to maintain it.More example sentences
- At Adelaide, Henderson taught imperial and colonial history, and arranged for a local benefactor to endow a prize for work on South Australian history written from the original records.
- The Pake Prize was endowed in 1983 in recognition of the achievements of George Pake, a research physicist and director of industrial research.
- Over the years the Hollywood director has made financial contributions to scouting facilities and endowed a cinematography award for aspiring scout film-makers.
- 1.2 (usually be endowed with) Provide with a quality, ability, or asset: he was endowed with tremendous physical strengthMore example sentences
- Love is part of the nature of God, and humans were endowed with the ability to love as part of being ‘created in His image’.
- It has been endowed with a mystic quality.
- Actually, the larvae of most coral reef fishes are endowed with good swimming abilities, good sensory systems, and sophisticated behavior that is quite flexible.
- More example sentences
- Athelstan who had been a great endower of Malmesbury Abbey was buried there following his death in 940.
- He had been an ardent supporter and endower of the Abbey and is fitting that he should be buried here.
- It falls in the category of an ongoing charity from which an endower continues to derive benefits forever.
late Middle English (also in the sense 'provide a dower or dowry'; formerly also as indow): from legal Anglo-Norman French endouer, from en- 'in, toward' + Old French douer 'give as a gift' (from Latin dotare: see dower).