1A print made from an engraved plate, block, or other surface.
- The enormous influence of his woodcuts and engravings turned the print into a significant and distinctively German art form.
- Works of art include paintings, engravings, prints as well as original sculptures or statues.
- The best illustrated edition of Jane Austen uses contemporary fashion plates, engravings of carriages, town scenes and so on.
1.1The process or art of cutting or carving a design on a hard surface, especially so as to make a print.
- Artisans then begin the process of engraving on it.
- There he studied painting with him and learned the Western technique of engraving.
- Born, raised, and educated just outside of London, Barraclough initially learned the art of engraving from a Master English gunsmith in the late 1940s.
Words that rhyme with engravingcraving, paving, raving, saving, shaving
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.