Definition of enormity in English:
noun (plural enormities)
- The full enormity of the tragedy has now emerged, and large sums of money have been pledged.
- This because the horror, the scale, the quantitative enormity and ‘serial’ nature of the crimes had exceeded any individual legal responsibility.
- Even as the full enormity of the attack continued to sink in, Nato and the UN Security Council were falling in behind the US line.
- The Government has not grasped the full enormity of what is happening to this industry.
- With the multi-million euro shopping centre at its Shandon location now in full swing the enormity of its benefit to the overall economy of the town can hardly be overstated.
- At this stage I have not had the opportunity to review the draft plan at the Council chambers so do not know the full enormity of the plan.
- There is no doubt that the person to be tried committed criminal enormities.
- Such bloodstained enormities pass unnoticed now in a media pummelled into numbness by a government at last bereft of any moral sense or shame.
- Before the human and financial enormities of that conflict, leaders and citizens assumed that wars were what countries did.
Enormity traditionally means ‘the extreme scale or seriousness of something bad or morally wrong,’ as in they were struggling to deal with the enormity of the crime. Today, however, a more neutral sense as a synonym for hugeness or immensity, as in he soon discovered the enormity of the task, is common. Some people regard this use as wrong, arguing that enormity in its original sense meant ‘an extreme wickedness’ and should therefore continue to be used only of contexts in which a negative moral judgment is implied. Nevertheless, the sense of ‘great size’ is now broadly accepted in standard English, although it generally relates to something difficult, such as a task, challenge, or achievement.
Words that rhyme with enormityconformity, deformity, multiformity, uniformity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.