noun(also entente cordiale /kôrˈdyäl/)
- 1A friendly understanding or informal alliance between states or factions: the growing entente between former opponentsMore example sentences
- After all, every previous alliance, coalition, entente, empire, community, or monetary union of European states has collapsed sooner or later.
- First came the alliance with Japan in 1902, and then the settling of differences with France over colonial issues via the entente of 1904, a process which was repeated with the entente with Russia in 1907.
- But basically our understanding is good and the entente is without any doubt friendly.
- 1.1A group of states in an informal alliance.More example sentences
- The entente was engaged in continual fierce fighting until the Armistice.
- 1.2 (the Entente Cordiale) The understanding between Britain and France reached in 1904, forming the basis of Anglo-French cooperation in World War I.More example sentences
- If anyone had told these two teams that there was an Entente Cordiale between England and France, there was no evidence shown here.
mid 19th century: French entente (cordiale) '(friendly) understanding'.