- An evergreen shrub of warm, arid regions that has trailing or climbing stems and tiny, scalelike leaves. Some kinds are a source of ephedrine and are used medicinally.
More example sentences
- Family Ephedraceae and genus Ephedra
- The vegetation is a mix of grasses, annual herbs and isolated patches of mesquite, cholla, ephedra and yucca.
- She had been taking a weight-loss product containing caffeine and the herb ephedra on-and-off for three years.
- But some featured other herbs containing ephedrine, the active ingredient in the herb ephedra.
modern Latin, from Latin, 'equisetum', literally 'horse tail' (which it resembles), from Greek ephedra, equivalent to hippouris, 'horse tail'.
More definitions of ephedraDefinition of ephedra in:
- The British & World English dictionary