noun (plural epigastria /-trēə/)Anatomy
The part of the upper abdomen immediately over the stomach.
- The pain of acute cholecystitis typically lasts longer than three hours and, after three hours, shifts from the epigastrium to the right upper quadrant.
- A large mass was palpable in the epigastrium and right upper quadrant.
- The pain starts suddenly in the epigastrium or right upper quadrant and may radiate round to the back in the interscapular region.
- Example sentences
- The esophagus lies anterior to the thoracic aorta before exiting through the diaphragm slightly to the left of midline in the epigastric region of the abdomen.
- It may present as an epigastric mass, epigastric pain radiating to the back, abdominal fullness, nausea, vomiting, or jaundice.
- After revascularization is complete, the surgeon identifies the bladder and cuts and ligates the epigastric and round ligaments with silk ties.
Late 17th century: via late Latin from Greek epigastrion, neuter of epigastrios 'over the belly', from epi 'upon' + gastēr 'belly'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of epigastrium in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.