Definition of epigenetic in English:
1 Biology Relating to or arising from nongenetic influences on gene expression: epigenetic carcinogens
More example sentences
- Such variations might arise from minor genetic differences or by epigenetic influences causing induction, enhancement or inhibition of repair enzyme synthesis or activity.
- The embryo is human, since it has the genetic constitution and epigenetic primordia characteristic of human beings.
- Hence, we investigated molecular genetic and epigenetic events in oral carcinogenesis.
1.1Of, relating to, or of the nature of epigenesis.
2 Geology Formed later than the surrounding or underlying rock formation.
- Ores formed at the same time as their host rocks are referred to as syngenetic; ores formed after the host rock are called epigenetic.
- Thus, the ore minerals form after the host rock and are called epigenetic.
- More recent studies suggest an epigenetic origin, indicating that sulphide-rich iron formation is a replacement type rather than a primary sedimentary facies.
- Example sentences
- The state of gene inactivation is inherited epigenetically through multiple mitoses.
- An alternate proposal suggests that centromere functionality might be epigenetically determined by a higher-order structure dictated by underlying repeats.
- Intelligence is an emergent property of person-in-society, not an inborn capability or an epigenetically developed trait of individuals.
- Example sentences
- In the first chapter, he traces the emergence of the modern conception of the gene back to the 18th century debate between preformationists and epigeneticists.
- The epigeneticist view was clearly wrong, because something stable had to be transmitted across generations.
Definition of epigenetic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan