- A neurological disorder marked by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain.More example sentences
- Narcolepsy has been mistaken for epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, and schizophrenia.
- Having a learning disability does not cause epilepsy and nor does epilepsy cause a learning disability.
- Pregnancy in women with epilepsy is associated with an increased risk of fetal malformation.
mid 16th century: from French épilepsie, or via late Latin from Greek epilēpsia, from epilambanein 'seize, attack', from epi 'upon' + lambanein 'take hold of'.
More definitions of epilepsyDefinition of epilepsy in:
- The British & World English dictionary