Definition of equalizer in English:
1A thing that has an equalizing effect: education is the great equalizer
More example sentences
- ‘The Web is absolutely the great equalizer,’ he said.
- The crisis that struck in mid-1997 was a great equalizer, along with the popularity of the ‘back to nature’ movement starting in the West.
- Wealthy motorists frustrated by the great equalizer, traffic jams, will pioneer a brand new gimmick: motorcycle motorcades for millionaires.
1.1North American informal A weapon, especially a gun.
- Colt claimed that his guns were the ‘great equalizers.’
- Nuclear weapons, chemical weapons and missiles are viewed, probably erroneously, as the potential equalizer of superior Western conventional power.
- More often than not, the real equalizer was his gun.
1.2 Electronics A passive network designed to modify a frequency response, especially to compensate for distortion.
- This panel would then be connected through a patchbay to a microphone, line and program amplifiers, equalizers and echo sends.
- A second equalizer and adjuster circuit to equalize the timed sample sequence for detection and to adjust the gain of the amplifier and the timing of the sampler operates in a user data segment of the signal.
- By separating the equalization of the signal to separate equalizers, the cost of the equalization can be reduced without substantially affecting performance.
Definition of equalizer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.