1Happening at or near the time of an equinox.
- The nights start drawing in quite quickly, and by late September the first of the equinoctial gales will have appeared with the weather in the hills of Scotland turning decidedly chilly at times.
- They are also equinoctial tides, occurring just after the autumn equinox on September 23, which would normally bring the highest tides of the year.
- But Numa may also have had an equinoctial birthday.
1.1Relating to equal day and night.
- One of the effects of equinoctial periods is their temporary disruptive effect on communications satellites.
- The sundial above, dated 1509, shows equinoctial hours with a gnomon parallel to the earth's axis.
noun(also equinoctial line or equinoctial circle)
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of equinoctial in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.