(also erh hu)
- A Chinese two-stringed musical instrument held in the lap and played with a bow.More example sentences
- This year's closing festival of Edmonton's busy summer will unite the orchestra with the erhu, a two-stringed Chinese fiddle which is played somewhat like a small cello.
- With six musicians playing the erhu, pipa, Chinese flute, zither, moon guitar and trapeziform dulcimer, they call the music that they play sizhu - the traditional word for musical instruments.
- They enjoy themselves in singing songs from opera, playing the erhu (a traditional Chinese musical instrument) or practising their calligraphy on the ground with a brush.
early 20th century: Chinese, from èr 'two' + hú 'bowed instrument'.
More definitions of erhuDefinition of erhu in:
- The British & World English dictionary