Definition of errant in English:
1 [attributive] Erring or straying from the proper course or standards: he could never forgive his daughter’s errant ways
More example sentences
- The issue is that while we are willing to accept the errant ways of noted figures, are we similarly willing to accept the errant ways of those not notable?
- Of course, this errant stupidity helped force Zapatero's hand and have him bring the troops home.
- That explains, in part, his decision last week to pardon the errant scientist.
2 [often postpositive] archaic or literary Traveling in search of adventure: that same lady errant See also knight errant.
More example sentences
- No search parties are sent out for the errant travellers.
- Thus it was that five minutes later he was wandering down the hall in search of his errant best friend.
- The guardian thinks she's supposed to be cool and calm, indifferent and impartial, a door to keep out errant knights and travellers, but she's still steamed about being stuck down here.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- In these series of lithographs, etchings, paintings and inkjet prints, the artist spikes these compulsive recordings of movement with humour and a certain dark errancy.
- Is this a joint project between men and women, or have men unilaterally decided to project an aura of servility, errancy, femininity and weakness?
- Over and over, the History Channel confronts the errancy of popular belief, never seeming to tire in its celebration of Fact.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- Sancho is troubled when he overhears the priest say that the books of knight errantry are not true and the innkeeper saying errantry is a thing of the past.
- Waxing eloquent, he expresses how he now he fights for vengeance for the world (a kind of a bandit errantry).
- This character occasionally accompanies wizards on errantry for reasons of her own, and is always a source of good (if frequently obscure) advice.
Words that rhyme with errantaberrant, deterrent, inherent, knight-errant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan