Definition of erythromycin in English:
An antibiotic used in the treatment of infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria. It is similar in its effects to penicillin.
- This is obtained from the streptomycete bacterium Streptomyces erythreus
- This strain was resistant to methicillin, cephalothin, gentamicin, erythromycin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline.
- In its early stages, leptospirosis can be treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, streptomycin, tetracycline and erythromycin.
- Treatment is with antibiotics such as erythromycin and tetracycline.
1950s: from elements of the modern Latin taxonomic name Streptomyces erythreus + -in1.
Definition of erythromycin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.