An antibiotic used in the treatment of infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria. It is similar in its effects to penicillin.
- This is obtained from the streptomycete bacterium Streptomyces erythreus
More example sentences
- This strain was resistant to methicillin, cephalothin, gentamicin, erythromycin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline.
- In its early stages, leptospirosis can be treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, streptomycin, tetracycline and erythromycin.
- Treatment is with antibiotics such as erythromycin and tetracycline.
1950s: from elements of the modern Latin taxonomic name (see above) + -in1.
More definitions of erythromycinDefinition of erythromycin in:
- The British & World English dictionary