- The lowest velocity that a body must have in order to escape the gravitational attraction of a particular planet or other object.More example sentences
- What would happen if the escape velocity of a planet were greater than the speed of light?
- The work presented in these two papers formed the basis for a later study of black holes, showing that bodies of sufficiently large mass would have an escape velocity exceeding the speed of light and so could not be seen.
- If the object slows down below a minimum orbital velocity, it will hit the planet; if it speeds up beyond a maximum escape velocity, it will move away from the planet permanently.
More definitions of escape velocityDefinition of escape velocity in:
- The British & World English dictionary