- An endive of a variety with broad undivided leaves and a slightly bitter flavor, used in salads.More example sentences
- If you want to continue exploring, toss curly endive, escarole, arugula or radicchio - all of which have a distinct flavour - into your green salad to add some bite.
- Sow more rocket and other autumn salads such as escarole and radicchio, which will last until Christmas.
- To keep your digestive juices flowing, try adding salads to your diet that are made from bitter greens such as dandelions, escarole, watercress and mustard greens.
early 20th century: from French, from Italian scar(i)ola, based on Latin esca 'food'.
More definitions of escaroleDefinition of escarole in:
- The British & World English dictionary