noun (plural escudos)
- The basic monetary unit of Portugal (until the introduction of the euro) and Cape Verde, equal to 100 centavos.More example sentences
- Within one year of abandoning the escudo for the euro, Portugal, for example, was forced to make massive cuts in public spending to meet the stability pact's criteria.
- The euro, which replaces the old francs, marks, guilders, pesetas, escudos, drachmas, and lire of the European Union, is not yet five years old.
- Some taxi operators and small businesses were reported to be giving back change in both euros and escudos, against government recommendations.
Spanish and Portuguese, from Latin scutum 'shield'.
More definitions of escudoDefinition of escudo in:
- The British & World English dictionary