Definition of espalier in English:
1A fruit tree or ornamental shrub whose branches are trained to grow flat against a wall, supported on a lattice or a framework of stakes.
- Because the fruit is so good, the trees are best grown as espaliers in a small garden, which will maximise fruit production against tree size.
- I want to train a pear tree as an espalier against a wall.
- These include Kylemore Abbey, where 150-year-old apple espaliers line the paths of the kitchen garden.
verb[with object] Back to top
Train (a tree or shrub) to grow flat against a wall.
- Once you know what you are doing, you can prune 12 dwarf espaliered trees in an hour or maybe two each year.
- It was espaliered carefully back onto its old trellis and coaxed into bloom.
- Apples are espaliered along space-saving rows of wire fencing.
Words that rhyme with espalierAntalya, pallia, rallier
Definition of espalier in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.