verb[with object] chiefly historical
Anesthetize (a person or animal) with ether.
- The physician performed the examination, diagnosed the lump as a fibroid tumor, and performed an operation to remove the tumor while, as T. S. Eliot puts it, the patient was etherized upon the table.
- The famous opening comparison of the evening sky to ‘a patient etherized upon a table’ makes clear the anesthetizing power of the polluting haze.
- The temporary loss of control over the will (such as occurs during etherized paralysis), he implies, only reveals the extent to which the conscious mind is never the centre of its own will nor entirely in control of its own movements.
- Example sentences
- Following etherization, flies were placed into vials, and allowed 1 day for recovery from etherization.
- From then on, there was no further opposition in the hospital to performance of operations on patients under etherization.
Definition of etherize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.