verb[with object] chiefly • historical
- Anesthetize (a person or animal) with ether.More example sentences
- The physician performed the examination, diagnosed the lump as a fibroid tumor, and performed an operation to remove the tumor while, as T. S. Eliot puts it, the patient was etherized upon the table.
- The famous opening comparison of the evening sky to ‘a patient etherized upon a table’ makes clear the anesthetizing power of the polluting haze.
- The temporary loss of control over the will (such as occurs during etherized paralysis), he implies, only reveals the extent to which the conscious mind is never the centre of its own will nor entirely in control of its own movements.
More definitions of etherizeDefinition of etherize in:
- The British & World English dictionary