- 1 [usually treated as plural] Moral principles that govern a person’s or group’s behavior: Judeo-Christian ethicsMore example sentences
- I'm not saying that ethics committees that question research proposals are always being pedantic.
- Now the couple have been told the private clinic in England is willing to put their case to its ethics committee.
- The study was performed in accordance with the regulations laid down by the hospital's ethics committee.
- 1.1The moral correctness of specified conduct: the ethics of euthanasiaMore example sentences
- This includes the whole of Buddhist philosophy and ethics.
- I assess the moral legitimacy of sanctions in the contexts of just war doctrine, Kantian ethics, and utilitarianism.
- Here in this sentence is the heart of Christian philosophical ethics and metaphysics.
- 2 [usually treated as singular] The branch of knowledge that deals with moral principles.
Schools of ethics in Western philosophy can be divided, very roughly, into three sorts. The first, drawing on the work of Aristotle, holds that the virtues (such as justice, charity, and generosity) are dispositions to act in ways that benefit both the person possessing them and that person’s society. The second, defended particularly by Kant, makes the concept of duty central to morality: humans are bound, from a knowledge of their duty as rational beings, to obey the categorical imperative to respect other rational beings. Thirdly, utilitarianism asserts that the guiding principle of conduct should be the greatest happiness or benefit of the greatest numberMore example sentences
- They thought that fundamental principles of ethics could be seen to be true by the natural light of reason.
- Either way the technical difference between moral philosophy and ethics is so minimal as to be irrelevant.
- Surely they're old enough to learn about ethics and moral philosophy, tailored to their age.
- More example sentences
- And I'll be talking with one of the country's leading medical ethicists about the issues involved in this case.
- In taking this position and seeking to amend the Bill accordingly, I was supported by many of the leading ethicists in the field.
- This question has plagued ethicists and physicians throughout the years.