Definition of ethnocentrism in English:
Evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one’s own culture.
- Rejecting the ethnocentrism characteristic of an earlier generation of anthropologists, Levi-Strauss refused to think of tribal cultures as primitive.
- Goodbye ethnocentrism, greetings to the common world we diversely live in and attempt to make sense of.
- Australia was settled by Europeans as Western ethnocentrism meshed with racial ideas.
ethnocentrist adjective & noun
- Example sentences
- We are largely monolinguists and ethnocentrists and damn good tourists, but hapless travelers.
- The movement is simply one of the wedges used by racists, ethnocentrists, religious bigots, and homophobes to force the country to engage in an evil discourse.
- I'm sorry, but that seems arrogant and ethnocentrist to me.
Definition of ethnocentrism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan