Evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one’s own culture.
More example sentences
- Rejecting the ethnocentrism characteristic of an earlier generation of anthropologists, Levi-Strauss refused to think of tribal cultures as primitive.
- Goodbye ethnocentrism, greetings to the common world we diversely live in and attempt to make sense of.
- Australia was settled by Europeans as Western ethnocentrism meshed with racial ideas.
- More example sentences
- We are largely monolinguists and ethnocentrists and damn good tourists, but hapless travelers.
- The movement is simply one of the wedges used by racists, ethnocentrists, religious bigots, and homophobes to force the country to engage in an evil discourse.
- I'm sorry, but that seems arrogant and ethnocentrist to me.
Definition of ethnocentrism in:
- The British & World English dictionary