Definition of ethnocentrism in English:
Evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of one’s own culture.
- The best way to combat ethnocentrism is to encourage empathy at all levels of the firm.
- The comments reveal an ethnocentrism in judging lower-class behavior using middle-class standards.
- Ethnocentrism is in reality a much more widespread phenomenon than racism.
- 1ethnocentrist adjective & noun
- Example sentences
- I'm sorry, but that seems arrogant and ethnocentrist to me.
- With its majestic silence and impressive height, it leaves even the ethnocentrist of the worst breed in complete awe.
- Women wanted to deal with a much wider array of conditions; they wanted to pursue transcendence free from ethnocentrist as well as sexist or classist assumptions.
Definition of ethnocentrism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.