verb[with object] (usually be etymologized)
- Give or trace the etymology of (a word).More example sentences
- All these words are etymologized on the basis of Türkic language.
- The problem with these etymologized words is that they seem to make sense yet one is easily misled.
- The word is etymologised from an ancient Greek word meaning ‘bright stone’.
mid 16th century: from medieval Latin etymologizare, from Latin etymologia (see etymology).
More definitions of etymologizeDefinition of etymologize in:
- The British & World English dictionary