Definition of euchre in English:
A card game for two to four players, usually played with the thirty-two highest cards, the aim being to win at least three of the five tricks played.
- That's about the only good thing that has happened today, winning four games of euchre in a row.
- And then I'll teach you how to play solitaire euchre.
- I spent many a sunny afternoon in the smoky darkness of a pool hail in a small central Illinois town where wizened men took my pennies at euchre, gin rummy and poker.
verb[with object] Back to top
1(In the card game euchre) gain the advantage over (another player) by preventing them from taking three tricks.
- The score for winning all the tricks or euchring the makers is 3 points instead of 2.
- If you lose a trick you are euchred; and if you get euchred going alone, the deck scores four points.
- Bushing or Waiting in the bushes is passing when you hold enough cards to make trump, hoping instead to euchre the opponent who picks up.
1.1North American informal Deceive, outwit, or cheat (someone): the merchant can be euchred out of his caftan by hard bargaining
More example sentences
- ‘He really euchred me there,’ he says with a grin.
- You may recall that he euchred Elizabeth's uncle into visiting a site where his experts said Elizabeth's body could have been found.
early 19th century: from German dialect Jucker(spiel).
Definition of euchre in:
- British & World English dictionary