Definition of eucryphia in English:
A shrub or small tree with glossy dark green leaves and large white flowers, native to Australia and South America.
- Genus Eucryphia, family Eucryphiaceae
- Huge specimens of eucalyptus, eucryphias, magnolias and rhododendrons are underplanted with unusual shrubs and choice perennials like Trilliums, Arisaema and blue poppies.
- And he did, collecting plants from across the globe: rare azaleas, tall eucryphias with leaves like perfumed confetti, a flowering Chilean fire tree planted to celebrate his Golden Jubilee in 1945.
- Add to this Lilium auratum; eucryphias - ‘they flower late in August, which is very satisfactory’ - and hoheria, ‘a lovely little tree with the most beautiful honey-scented flowers’.
Modern Latin, from Greek eu 'well' + -kruphos 'hidden' (with reference to its joined sepals).
Definition of eucryphia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.