Definition of eukaryote in English:
An organism consisting of a cell or cells in which the genetic material is DNA in the form of chromosomes contained within a distinct nucleus. Eukaryotes include all living organisms other than the eubacteria and archaebacteria. Compare with prokaryote.
- The condensin complex plays an essential role in chromosome condensation in all eukaryotes studied so far.
- The condensin complex is essential for chromosome condensation in higher eukaryotes.
- The bouquet structure of chromosomes is usually a transitory prophase stage in other eukaryotes.
- Example sentences
- Histone proteins are essential components of nucleosomes in eukaryotic chromosomes.
- The end-point of the test reflects the typically eukaryotic chromosomes and DNA metabolizing enzymes of yeast.
- Organization of the cytoplasm of eukaryotic cells depends largely on the cytoskeleton.
Definition of eukaryote in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan