Definition of euphausiid in English:
A shrimplike, planktonic marine crustacean of an order that includes krill. Many kinds are luminescent.
- Order Euphausiaceae, subclass Malacostraca
- Unexpectedly, even juvenile mysids, which are never planktonic, have similar optics to those of larval euphausiids and decapods, and form refracting superposition eyes in adults.
- Plankton such as euphausiids are important food for pre-grisle but amphipods and decapods are also consumed.
- Throughout the euphausiids, decapods, and stomatopods, larvae invariably possess compound eyes, which are naturally complicated structures.
Definition of euphausiid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan