noun (plural same or Evenkis)
1A member of an indigenous people of northern Siberia. Also called Tungus.
- Chapters one and eight frame the project, which is essentially a close examination of how Soviet power both made and unmade state subjects among the Evenki.
- Grounded in fieldwork done in 1988-89 and 1993-95, the study centres on Evenki associated with the ‘Red Star’ reindeer-herding collective farm at the village of Katonga (roughly 500 miles slightly northeast of Krasnoiarsk).
- Mengo highlighted the Russian peoples of that region - the Koryaks, Itelmen, Chuckhi, Evenki and Aleut - with their drumming, theatre and song.
Relating to the Evenki or their language.
- It is particularly good on the disconnection between Evenki clan order and Russia's attempts to institutionalize iasak (tribute payments).
- The fireball would have stretched high into the sky, and the local Evenki tribesman must have thought that the world was coming to an end.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Evenki in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.