(also evolute curve)
- A curve that is the locus of the centers of curvature of another curve (its involute).More example sentences
- On 22 January 1769 Monge wrote to Bossut explaining that he was writing a work on the evolutes of curves of double curvature.
- He defines evolutes and involutes of curves and, after giving some elementary properties, finds the evolutes of the cycloid and of the parabola.
- Hence a curve has a unique evolute but infinitely many involutes.
mid 18th century: from Latin evolutus, past participle of evolvere 'roll out' (see evolve).
More definitions of evoluteDefinition of evolute in:
- The British & World English dictionary