noun (plural ex-votos)
- A religious offering given in order to fulfill a vow.More example sentences
- The result is one of the smallest, most intensely powerful exhibitions I have seen for a long time, in which each piece, while itself a perfect ex-voto, also contributes to the intercessory impact of the whole.
- His ex-voto will be a part of himself: his child.
- The monument was probably constructed as an ex-voto to thank God for having stopped the plague that had broken out in 1598.
late 18th century: from Latin ex voto 'from a vow'.
More definitions of ex-votoDefinition of ex-voto in:
- The British & World English dictionary