Definition of excavation in English:
1The action of excavating something, especially an archaeological site: the methods of excavation have to be extremely rigorous students often participate in excavations
More example sentences
- These questions can only be answered through the careful archaeological excavation of the site.
- After nearly two decades of excavation, the Carranque Archaeological Park is now open to the public.
- The initial phase of the archaeological excavation at Woodstown has just been completed.
1.1A site that is being or has been excavated.
- The growth of black rat populations is being traced through analysis of rat bones from excavations.
- Archeological excavations show that mound tombs constructed in this time were all very similar and yet widely distributed.
- Imported materials found during excavations indicate that the oppidum played an important role in trade between Italy and central Gaul.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan