Definition of excitable in English:
1Responding rather too readily to something new or stimulating; too easily excited: Chip could be a bit wayward and excitable
More example sentences
- The easily excitable man with the curly hair has decided to join myself and Jared in this little experiment and has already posted his first song.
- The most easily excitable ones immediately interpreted his comments to mean that he thought women were dumb.
- The Artisan Child is highly active, easily excitable, likes taking risks and getting into mischief.
1.1(Of tissue or a cell) responsive to stimulation.
- The authors review excitable membrane potentials and neurotransmitters.
- Heart cells, like other electrically excitable cells, become inexcitable for a brief period after each action potential.
- Voltage-sensitive Na + channels are responsible for the upstroke of the action potential in excitable cells.
- Example sentences
- Paradoxical CNS stimulation results in talkativeness, excitability, restlessness, anxiety, mania, hyperactivity, delirium, and rage.
- Euphoria is gradually displaced by restlessness, extreme excitability, insomnia, and paranoia - and eventually hallucinations and delusions.
- Using police strategies and crowd simulations to inspire protest tactics, Nold relies on the excitability of crowds and offers tools for civil disobedience including sonic vibration for material disturbance.
- Example sentences
- ‘When we hire guys, they know [not to] bring any mental baggage in here,’ Koenig says pacing excitably across the dim studio, red wine in hand.
- Moore scrambles around the film like a big shaggy dog, jumping up and knocking things over, excitably putting together all sorts of possible connections.
- The two managed a pretty good Mutt and Jeff routine between them: squat, professorially-maned Rosenbaum prodded and praised excitably while the lean, unflappable director shrugged off analysis and goofed for the crowd.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India