- An expounder or textual interpreter, especially of scripture.More example sentences
- He writes as a New Testament exegete but seeks to cross the line for conversation with those in the church responsible for worship and for outreach.
- It should dominate the study of John as exegete for the next generation.
- Venema noted he was unaware of any reformed exegete in the 16th or 17th centuries who embraced this interpretation.
verb[with object] Back to top
mid 18th century: from Greek exēgētēs, from exēgeisthai 'interpret'.
More definitions of exegeteDefinition of exegete in:
- The British & World English dictionary