- The decay-resistant outer coating of a pollen grain or spore. It typically bears a highly characteristic surface pattern that is used in palynology.More example sentences
- Orbicules may be attached to the exine of the pollen grains.
- Short elongated elements occur on the orbicule wall, similar to those present on the pollen exine.
- This study concentrates on these parameters using purified exines (sporopollenin capsules) prepared from pine pollen, which consist of a central capsule and two lateral sacci.
late 19th century: perhaps from ex-2 'out' + Greek is, in- 'fiber'.
More definitions of exineDefinition of exine in:
- The British & World English dictionary