- Some scholars believe that the Chinese Lunar New Year originated from a ritual ceremony originally intended to exorcize the evil spirits.
- Ivan then began performing miracles - he exorcised evil spirits, and healed illnesses and infirmities, at least according to historical sources left from that time.
- He should repent and exorcise the institutional bias of his department.
- The monk and nuns accused of killing her said they had been exorcising her of evil spirits.
- If somebody was brought to me who needed to be exorcised, provided that the person was willing, I would do all I could to help.
- The other religious people heard of the demon in the church and warned him to exorcize me from the place.
late Middle English: from French exorciser or ecclesiastical Latin exorcizare, from Greek exorkizein, from ex- 'out' + horkos 'oath'. The word originally meant 'conjure up or command an evil spirit'; the specific sense of driving out an evil spirit dates from the mid 16th century.