- The expulsion or attempted expulsion of an evil spirit from a person or place.More example sentences
- In actual fact, I think it was more an attempt at personal exorcism.
- Similarly, there are other rituals outside their sphere of activity, such as the propitiation or exorcism of dangerous spirits.
- One was an attempt at exorcism, the other a rather more practical if overly melodramatic way of making the pain go away.
- More example sentences
- He is one of the leading exorcists, and he is more informed about these things than we.
- The retired priest is one of a team of 12 exorcists in the diocese called out to deal with haunted buildings and occult disturbances.
- This is the second year that the Vatican has offered a course for aspiring demonologists and exorcists.
late Middle English: via ecclesiastical Latin from ecclesiastical Greek exorkismos, from exorkizein 'exorcize'.