Definition of exoskeleton in English:
A rigid external covering for the body in some invertebrate animals, especially arthropods, providing both support and protection. Compare with endoskeleton.
- The trilobites comprise a major class-level clade of extinct marine arthropods characterized by calcareous, multisclerite, dorsal exoskeletons.
- Lobsters, like all animals with exoskeletons, periodically shed their armor as they grow.
- In these specimens the external surface of the exoskeleton is present, unless complete or partial exfoliation is noted.
- Example sentences
- Both have sophisticated recognition abilities based on olfactory cues emanating from the exoskeletal cuticle.
- In this paper we report the discovery of a nearly complete trilobite fossil over 680 mm long that yields a reconstructed exoskeletal length of more than 720 mm.
- They considered the specimen to be testate, but where the cranidium is broken on the right posterolateral corner, there is no sign of an exoskeletal layer.
Definition of exoskeleton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan