noun (plural exostoses /-sēz/)Medicine
- A benign outgrowth of cartilaginous tissue on a bone.More example sentences
- Trauma, chronic exposure to moisture, and exostoses make otitis externa a common ailment among surfers.
- The symptoms produced by exostoses are a prolonged blocked feeling of the ears after water activities with deafness and recurrent otitis externa.
- Despite no difference noted in outcome, the authors concluded that the exostosis should be excised if prominent and easily accessible when associated with posterior shoulder pain and tenderness.
late 16th century: from Greek, from ex- 'out' + osteon 'bone'.
More definitions of exostosisDefinition of exostosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary