Definition of exoticize in English:
Portray (someone or something unfamiliar) as exotic or unusual; romanticize or glamorize: importantly, the film doesn’t exoticize the East (as adjective exoticized) when class is addressed in the art world, it is often in the context of exoticized poverty
More example sentences
- Reviewers of his novels in India have long complained that his exoticised India-English dialogues glamorise the harsh realities of life in the former British colony.
- Much of that material romanticizes and exoticizes the real pain of social marginalization.
- She criticises the way in which minorities are exoticised by the dominant culture.
- Example sentences
- To reject the exoticization of Africa is to reject a whole world view carefully and painstakingly fabricated over centuries.
- The exoticization of the Orient was part of the discourse of orientalism governing European perspectives toward the East.
- The movie's relentless, transparent exoticization of its subject matter seems disingenuous from the first frame.
Definition of exoticize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.