Pronunciation: /ikˈsperəmənt /
- 1A scientific procedure undertaken to make a discovery, test a hypothesis, or demonstrate a known fact: laboratory experiments on guinea pigs I have tested this by experimentMore example sentences
- Carry out tests or experiments on these deductions in order not to prove them but to refute them.
- Interestingly enough, such individuals were also hostile to scientific experiments on animals as well.
- Scientists run experiments on physical evidence and draw conclusions based on their results.
- 1.1A course of action tentatively adopted without being sure of the eventual outcome: the previous experiment in liberal democracy had ended in disasterMore example sentences
- Starting the blog was an experiment in trying a few different ways to address the limitations of our political process.
- He knew that our experiment in self-government could fail if he had a serious lapse of judgment.
- This page is an experiment in interactivity which, as a journalist, I've found extremely exciting.
Pronunciation: /ikˈsperəˌment /[no object] Back to top
- 1Perform a scientific procedure, especially in a laboratory, to determine something: she experimented on chickens as well as miceMore example sentences
- The primates being experimented on in laboratories share over 95 per cent of their DNA with you.
- Cloning humans while the technology is still new and unproven is akin to experimenting on babies.
- He then went on to say that since animals habitually injure each other we should not worry unduly about experimenting on them in a good cause.
- 1.1Try out new concepts or ways of doing things: the designers experimented with new ideas in lightingMore example sentences
- We had also experimented with our running method today.
- Some regions of China, looking for creative ways to improve local governance, have already experimented with the idea.
- I also experimented with innovative methods of displaying my growing autograph collection.
- More example sentences
- All the above is utterly and completely without any scientific basis in either research or experimentation.
- There has been limited manipulative experimentation performed to test any of the previous hypotheses.
- If animal experimentation were stopped, the slowdown in medical research would be real and the cost would be high.
- More example sentences
- The first session was then initiated by the experimenter, who was situated in a separate control room.
- This behavior did not change, even when the experimenter initiated recall in Greek.
- Weissman said: ‘It is in the domain of the ethicists, not the experimenters, to figure out what our limits are.’