noun (plural explanantia /ˌekspləˈnanCHēə/)Philosophy
- another term for explicans.More example sentences
- One might require that the explanandum be a priori deducible from the explanans, although it is controversial whether this is either a necessary or a sufficient criterion for explaining consciousness.
- According to deductive-nomological model, the explanation of a fact is thus reduced to a logical relationship between statements: the explanandum is a consequence of the explanans.
- A hypothesis of homology is the explanandum, the phenomenon that is to be explained; evolution provides the explanans, the explanation of the phenomenon.
1940s: Latin, 'explaining'.
More definitions of explanansDefinition of explanans in:
- The British & World English dictionary