1(On a highway) a lane for through traffic, having fewer exits.
- The new express lane has been criticized after a traffic death.
- The accident occurred at a high traffic time in the express lanes of one of the busiest sections of one of the busiest highways in Canada.
- Why does the sign above the entrance to the express lanes on the Interstate 90 bridge say ‘Exit’?
1.1(In a grocery store) a checkout aisle for shoppers buying only a few items.
- The gimmicky aspect of the book is that you can shop for four meals and still check out through the express lane.
- Against all the signs and tradition I wheeled my trolley through the express lanes, with the approval of the checkout bloke, the only one working.
- When we went to pay for our things, we only had few items, so we went to the express lanes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.