(also extensor muscle)
Definition of extensor in English:
1A muscle whose contraction extends or straightens a limb or other part of the body. Often contrasted with flexor.
- The limb is supplied with a single extensor muscle and a single flexor, all other joints are considered rigid, and the objective of the CNS is to maintain the position of the limb.
- The anterior compartment flexor muscles of the arm are innervated by the musculocutaneous nerve, and the large posterior compartment extensor muscle is innervated by the radial nerve.
- Flexion force applied against long finger (third digit) extension distal to the proximal interphalangeal joint may provoke pain over the extensor muscle mass in the proximal forearm.
1.1Any of a number of specific muscles in the arm, hand, leg, and foot.
- The evolution of the modern name for the special extensor muscle of the index finger is provided by Cauldwell, et al. as follows: Albinus recognized the extensor muscle and noted it in his Historia musculorum hominis.
- Further, the number of both synapses and active zones per length terminal is significantly larger for the tonic axon in the leg extensor muscle.
- The triangular fibrocartilage complex is completed by the ulnar extensor muscle subsheath and the ulnar collateral ligament.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan