1Situated or occurring outside the body.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation with extracorporeal warming is the gold standard treatment for patients with profound hypothermia.
- In one trial, inhaled nitric oxide reduced the need for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in neonates without increasing neurodevelopmental, behavioral or medical abnormalities at two years of age.
- An example of such a process was the United Kingdom extracorporeal membrane oxygenation collaborative trial in neonates.
1.1Denoting a technique of lithotripsy using shock waves generated externally.
- Another method that may be applicable is the use of shock waves generated by extracorporeal lithotripters or lasers.
- Renal calculi less than 2 cm in size can generally be treated with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy.
- The other so-called revolutionary treatment is extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy, where gallstones are crushed by sound waves.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of extracorporeal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.