- (In the Roman Catholic Church) a former name for the sacrament of anointing of the sick, especially when administered to the dying.More example sentences
- Other sacramental services using consecrated water, salt or oil were performed by the priest in the church porch or, in the case of extreme unction, in the dying person's home.
- The sisters assisted, sometimes pressed, patients in fulfilling the four sacraments important in the hospital context: baptism, penance, Holy Communion, and extreme unction.
- The sacraments of baptism, confirmation, marriage, and extreme unction provided rites of passage through crucial moments in an individual's life.
More definitions of extreme unctionDefinition of extreme unction in:
- The British & World English dictionary