1A layer of material covering part of a garment and providing contrast, decoration, or strength.
- Make the same adjustment on the underarm facing for a sleeveless garment.
- Instead of sleeves, finish the armhole with a narrow facing.
- Repeat to sew the facing to the garment, turning the seam allowances out of the way of the lapel.
1.1 (facings) The cuffs, collar, and lapels of a military jacket, contrasting in color with the rest of the garment.
- The meet took place at Chavenage House near Tetbury, and the Princess Royal was mounted on a bay horse and wore the traditional Beaufort outfit, a navy blue jacket with buff facings.
- Regiments designated as ‘Royal’ adopted blue facings, blue being another principal colour of British royal heraldry and of the national flag.
- They wear a uniform - blouse and trousers - of a bright homespun material, without any facings, but with brass buttons and collar ornaments.
2An outer layer covering the surface of a wall.
- Finish ornamental stone facings and surfaces of concrete structural products.
- Mindful of Ben Rhydding's new conservation area status, the developers have been careful to include design features like using local stone for wall facings and slate roofs to ensure they get planning approval.
- With its facing of white Portland stone, copper-covered roof and flèche glittering with gold bands the chapel can be seen far across Stanley Park.
Positioned with the front toward a certain direction; opposite: a book with Italian and English lyrics printed on facing pages [in combination]: two large front-facing windows
More example sentences
- Children under seven are more likely to suffer serious injuries to their head and neck if they are wearing normal seat belts in a forward facing position
- Indeed, Sheth has arranged the images in such a way that you see two different worlds on facing pages.
- Sadly, this information is not on the facing pages of the catalog I got, but maybe it's hidden in the text somewhere.
Words that rhyme with facingbracing, casing, lacing, placing, self-effacing, spacing, tracing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.