1The product of an integer and all the integers below it; e.g., factorial four (4!) is equal to 24. (Symbol: !)
- The gamma function is undefined for zero and negative integers, from which we can conclude that factorials of negative integers do not exist.
- Stirling wrote to De Moivre pointing out some errors that he had made in a table of logarithms of factorials in the book.
- They learned of each other's discoveries because each of them communicated his work to James Stirling, whose approximation for the factorial is a special case of the Euler-Maclaurin summation.
1.1The product of a series of factors in an arithmetic progression.
- In the proof below, we use the fact that e is the sum of the series of inverted factorials.
- ‘A factorial is the product of consecutive numbers from 1 to that particular digit and is represented by placing a‘!’
Relating to a factor or factorial: a factorial design
More example sentences
- Experimental designs involving factorial combination of multiple independent variables call for some inventiveness when it comes to graphical presentation of data.
- Around 1926, a British statistician, Ronald Fisher, while working in the field of agriculture, developed a new form of experimentation called two-level factorial design.
- A 2 x 4 x 12 factorial design was used to assess the effects of light, temperature and month, respectively, on the germination of Spergularia marina seeds.
- Example sentences
- Three stimulus frequencies were combined factorially with two input channels (left and right ears) and three measurement procedures.
- The investigation of factorially simple tasks, which are not especially cognitively demanding, has prompted hopes of arriving at a definition of intelligence that is both precise and explanatory.
- The shortened 18-item scale is both more reliable and more factorially pure than the original 25-item measure with which it correlates at a.93 level.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.